Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Mastering the Crust


 It only took me 11 years of marriage to find the crust recipe I will use for the rest of my life.


I have a problem with shortening and I refuse to use it. I think, its not only gross but very unhealthy. So I have been on a long journey to find an alternative. Trying everything from olive oil to butter, rice crusts, pat in the pan crusts (because I could never even roll them out). I gave up for a while and resorted to premade which is even more unhealthy.  But alas, I have found it, the perfect crust; soft, rich, flavorful, a delicate flake, made without shortening. It may be fattening but aren't they all? At least its made with real ingredients. Oh, and did I mention its easy to roll out?

here it is:

1 cup plus 2 Tablespoons flour (I like King Arthur best)
1 Tablespoon sugar (omit if making it for chicken pot pie)
1/4 tsp salt
6 Tablespoons cold butter
3 ounces cold cream cheese (a little less than 1/2 a pkg)

blend all together with pastry blender or I like to use my hands, until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.

then add:
2-3 Tablespoons cold milk or cream

mix it up until it gathers into moist clumps and forms your dough,
you can wrap it in plastic and refrigerate for later or roll it out on a floured surface. You need a generous amount of flour handy.

The recipe says its only good for 1 pie crust but I always end up with more, you'll typically get 1 1/2 pie crusts, when I doubled the recipe I got 3 pie crusts out of it, when I tripled it for the chicken pot pie, I was able to make 3 covered pies. So make a bunch and freeze it or save it for later in the week and make another pie. Keep in mind I tend to roll them out quite thin (because I can with this recipe).

This recipe came from Joy of Cooking.

2 comments:

  1. Hmmmmmmmm...is it really easy to roll out? You know how I bad I hate to roll out anything...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, its very soft and pliable, it hardly ever rips on me. I do make sure to use a fair amount of flour when rolling it out because it does tend to stick if I don't.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for coming and reading, I look forward to hearing from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...