Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Tortillas

I really like doing as much as I can in the kitchen homemade. Mexican is my all time favorite food and my standby whenever I have no cooking ideas, we eat it at least once a week.
I've been wanting to see how difficult homemade tortillas are. Since I always keep lots of flour on hand I don't have to make a dreaded trip to the store if we run out of tortillas.

So this winter when things were lean around here I finally made them, they're so good, I don't think I will be buying them anymore if I can help it.



The recipe:

2 cups unbleached flour
1/2 tsp salt
3 Tbs canola oil
approx 3/4 c  warm water

Combine the flour and salt in mixing bowl
drizzle in the oil and mix in
pour in the water
the dough should gather into a ball and should be moist but not sticky, kneading easily
I use my kitchen aid mixer for this with the doughhook atachment.
kneading on the 1st or 2nd speed for aprox 5 min.
let it rest covered for 30 minutes

heat a cast iron skillet or griddle, slightly oiled, med high heat (any frying pan or griddle lightly oiled will do--you may have to watch the heat though)


cut your dough into 8 equally sized pieces and roll them into balls,
cover them while you roll out the others.


Flaten a ball into a disc

Roll out as thin as possible on a lightly floured surface, it will be 7-8" in diameter
I have yet to try a tortilla press, but it would probably make this step quicker.
Also notice how I still can't get them perfectly round, the more I make the better they come out though.

It should brown up in about a minute,


Flip and cook on the other side
I like to get it timed so I'm rolling one out while I'm cooking one.
As they finish place the cooked tortillas in a towell, so the steam stays in.

fiesta time.


The dough can be kept in the fridge for up to a week. Also you can make a big batch and freeze the homemade tortillas.  The best way to reheat is in a skillet for 30 seconds on each side. They do harden up quickly upon reheating so its best to reheat them as you need them.
 
I am adding this on 10/9/2013: I learned a few months ago after buying a tortilla press and it not working right, that it is just not possible to make flour tortillas with a tortilla press--traditionally they are always rolled out and the corn tortillas are always pressed. 

4 comments:

  1. i hope you don't mind, but I pinned this recipe on pinterest. i gave you credit :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't mind at all, enjoy them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just reading this... so are you using your tortilla press? LOL... it's my list of things I want to buy. I am wanting it for corn tortillas so i don't htink I'd have a problem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jess, I am just seeing this question now, sorry. Yes I got a nice authentic cast iron one and use it for corn tortillas all the time. They are very quick to make with the press the come out perfectly round. I find myself making the corn more often now. :)

      Delete

Thank you for coming and reading, I look forward to hearing from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...