Friday, June 21, 2013

On the Fly Mac N Cheese

 
This simple recipe was born out of necessity. It was one of those days when we needed something quick and I was scouring the cabinets toward the end of the pay period.
I found pasta shells, some butter, a third of a package of cream cheese and a small piece of cheddar.....etc.  It came out surprisingly well, mild and creamy, similar to Annies shells with white cheddar. Paired up with some greens we picked in our field (more on that soon) it made a great meal.  My kids generally do not like macaroni and cheese, I have two fans out of the four and if I make it they only like it from the box, So I generally do not make it. So this, pleasing the "only-from-the-box-fans" was a huge feat. I'm still not sure if I've actually created something new here (probably not) but it was fun to have this successful simple meal.
 
Yesterday I repeated my throw together recipe on purpose for lunch. They liked it again.
 So here's the in-exact recipe.
 
cook and drain a 1 lb box of small shells
 
return the pasta to the pot and mix in on med low until everything is blended till desired consistency :
 
1/3 of a bar of cream cheese
1/4 cup sharp cheddar cheese
2 tbs butter
3 splashes of milk (probably 1/3-1/2 cup) or more to make it more creamy
1 tsp salt or to taste
sprinkle of pepper
and a good shake of Parm cheese is nice. 
 
 
 
 
 
mmmmm....
 
Notice all my pretty bouquets, to me nothing is prettier than a handful of wildflowers stuffed in a jar, given by the ones I love.

 Let me know if you try the recipe and how you like it.

1 comment:

  1. Yummy! I love cream cheese in mac n cheese cause it makes it creamy and gives a great taste! Something about using shells, vs elbows, seems to make it more pleasing too!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for coming and reading, I look forward to hearing from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...