Friday, July 19, 2013

Can I Have A Back to Eden Garden, Please.

 
I just watched this amazing and inspiring video documentary on sustainable organic gardening and not only do I want to share it but I want to implement it.

http://www.backtoedenfilm.com/index.html

Picture

I thought the video was beautifully done, and I love how much scripture he shares from the Word of God comparing it to gardening. It makes me excited to get out there again. Watching the video, Paul Gautschi reminds me of two people; George Washington Carver 'The Peanut Man' and a Bible-loving version of  my birth father, both great people.

The whole premise of his method is heavy mulching. and when that is done it copies the way God intended nature to work in the forest. I have read about heavy mulching before, but it has always been used in conjunction with tilling and having to go way out of you way to collect items not readily available or way too expensive. I'm so excited about this technique of "making a covering" out of whatever is available, it makes perfect sense, the ease of using what is available and the spiritual parallel is profound. It also solves more than half of my gardening problems; soil compaction, watering, weeds, proper ph balance.

Biblically I know we can't literally go back to Eden -- as this world is fallen, under the curse of sin, just as we are. At least not until it is redeemed by the One who has redeemed us on the cross, Jesus. But that doesn't mean that God doesn't have a certain order and way that the Earth is supposed to work. For this man, Paul, to understand how He made it to work and grow, and to work with it not against it, is wonderful; Something that we most definitely need to go back to.

My garden is pathetic, its huge and organic but sad --I have no time to weed, I can't water it because of how far from the house it is located. The deer, don't get me started on the deer. These problems attribute to why it looks the way it looks. I can't wait to implement the things I learned on this video. I took several pictures to document the sad state of my garden so I can mark the difference as my husband and I, together, begin this journey to redeem our garden.

potatoes, or lack there of


 
Pumpkins 
 
 
 This is the only place in the garden where it looks good, I had a bunch of manure that I just left in approx. a 6 foot circle, not too many weeds and happy squash.
 


 corn


 At least my beets are doing kind of well they too got a heavy dressing of manure.



 Join me in future posts as I mark our progress with our "Back to Eden" garden. Also, please take the time to watch the video, its free to watch online. I hope it is as much of an encouragement to you as it was to me.


 
 
 
 

5 comments:

  1. I used straw to mulch, and also am interested in seeing the difference it makes. Wood chips aren't so accessible, but someone gave me ten bales of straw (we'll see about the seeds from there!)
    The straw protected friends (who live "out of town") garden from a frost we had last week! It seems to help the peas which like a more-evenly "moist" soil.
    God bless and be with you and your garden.
    I'm in Northern British Columbia in Canada. Quite a few friends here are working with what they have - straw or wood chips or even grass clippings.
    ame

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and God bless you too! I appreciate your feedback. That's what I love about the method-- where you use what is available in your region. I know this year will be work getting it covered but I look forward to seeing the difference over time!

      Delete
  2. I can't wait to read your updates! I have the Back to Eden DVD and am eager to see how this method works. I am in northern British Columbia as well. We have three gardens and several raised beds that do well, but I would love to try the BTE method so we can save on water usage...and, of course, drastically cut down on the amount of weeding and hoeing we do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the encouragement, its hard sometimes breaking out of what I have been doing or so long, but I always end up discouraged every year. I'm excited to see how it will work for us.

      Delete
  3. I really enjoy reading your blog postings. I'm in the process of collecting wood chips to start my BTE garden. I live in southern Ontario where we have rocky clay soil. Last year my garden did quite well but this year most of my crops are yellow and lacking something. I'm hoping that the BTE method along with some organic fertilizer of some sort will give my garden a boost. Anyway, looking forward to your next post. God bless.

    Jer

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for coming and reading, I look forward to hearing from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...