Thursday, November 21, 2013

October and November Photo Update



 Winter in upon us and I'm still wondering where summer went. We have too many chickens, 27 or 28, soup to be made soon out of our many roosters. And we are finally getting into the homeschool groove again.
There are blessings to be found everyday.

 The girls help me every morning feed the animals while S. helps gather firewood for the day. We love greeting our ladies in the morning.
 
I had a bad cooking month, what I would call a food crisis. I was so sick of cooking and felt like I forgot how. I was strengthened by friends on Facebook when so many wonderful moms gave me advice.
In addition to so many great tips, I started a new thing before our meals. The last few weeks, while preparing dinner, I put out some cut veggies or salad for everyone to munch on.  If they are really hungry they will eat the veggies; it keeps them satisfied until dinner, because dinner often late around here. Also, I don't have to fight with them to eat their vegetables during the meal because I know they've already had their fill. 


We harvested the Swiss chard and Dragon carrots that we had planted in our raised bed. Jamie made a cold frame out of it before the frosts came. It was wonderful having garden veggies, fresh picked, in November!
 
 
P. has been wanting to learn to spin for some time now. We had planned on looking for a used spinning wheel for her for Christmas. Well, God had other plans to bless our daughter; her spinning teacher, Rhonda, Home Spun Girls at Wild Wind Farm told us an anonymous person wanted to give her a spinning wheel! It was even the exact Ashford spinning wheel we wanted to get her. Jamie and I were so excited but we didn't tell her. 
When we went to pick it up, the only thing I told P was that we were going to buy some pumpkins at their Farm. Rhonda presented her with the spinning wheel when we got there and P turned white and almost fainted in surprise. It was precious and couldn't have been more special in any way.
 
 
Her first full spool, ready to b plied. I love the color. I can't wait to see what she will knit with this! 

Our sweet little angora bunnies, putting up with much love and dressing up.


Jasper the kitty in kitty love heaven.
 
We have had more of an art focus this year and have been having fun getting together with friends, going to special art events at the local Christian school and doing it more at home than we have in the last few years. There's nothing I like better than to see our table look like this.
Still life of a spinning wheel by S.
Veggies by G.
Spinning wheel and fireworks by Sean

After about 4 years of growing, A friend chopped my hair off for me last month when I asked her for an emergency hair cut, I was so frustrated with brushing it for so long every day.
I haven't missed it one bit, I love having short hair again. 
 
My little kindergartner is doing so well, with his writing and drawing. He colored the dragon picture below and then wanted to draw his own picture from it. I love the knight. He's also picking up with his reading quite well.


We have gone on a few hiking type field trips to the nearby coast and no matter how cold, or foggy ...we can never keep the children out of the water.
These were taken a month ago at Roque Bluffs State Park.



 
He was so happy to climb up this giant rock.
 

We also had a chance to take a field trip to the West Quoddy Head Lighthouse, which we found out is the easternmost point in the US and this particular one was built in 1858.  

 

 


Nature's playground

G. found her favorite thing to collect when at the ocean, seaweed.

The boys were pretending the rocks were their castle and climbing all over them.
 
 
 
The water was unbelievably clear... and cold. And he still managed to get his shoes wet.
 
 
 The trails were absolutely breathtaking, the most beautiful place I've been in Maine yet.
 
 
Last week a treadle Singer sewing machine made it into our lives, I've always wanted one and I was so blessed to have the chance to buy this one from a friend. It works beautifully and my little G is so excited about it, she got to work learning how to treadle right a way and is now making a "quilt" out of our fabric scraps.




 Little G is also saving up for a microscope, not just a cheepy either she already had it picked out.  She has been diligently working around the house doing extra chores to earn money.

She emptied all this kindling wood from Daddy's truck, carried it and
 stacked it into the wood room.
 
All finished.

 

I love taking pictures, the beautiful, the blessings, the simple, and the mundane; whichever they are, I look back over what seemed like a crazy busy few months, feeling like we haven't accomplished much. I'm reminded of the blessings in them all and am thankful for everything.
 Its so good to take some time, sit still, and see them in our lives.
                               We all have so much to be thankful for.
 
We hope you have a blessed and Happy Thanksgiving next week!

1 comment:

  1. I always want to be part of your family after reading your updates! Such a blessed, full life!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for coming and reading, I look forward to hearing from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...