Saturday, June 6, 2015

Second Timothy for Moms (part 1)

I love it when I do my daily Bible reading and through it the Lord speaks directly to my heart,  perfectly applying to the situation I am seeking wisdom in.

Several months ago, I began going through the book of 2 Timothy. It was amazing, almost every verse I read was relatable to my journey with homeschooling and aspects of motherhood that I had never picked up on before, issues I was feeling I needed guidance with. This post is living proof of when we seek we shall find, when we ask it shall be given. I was asking for wisdom, and overall help in the area of homeschooling and motherhood. As usual the Lord was faithful to give me that peace and wisdom I was seeking through his Word. So as I stumbled upon my notes from a few months back, meditating on them, I felt it was time to share what I learned through the first few chapters in the light of being a mom.



The book of  II Timothy is considered a pastoral epistle which is basically an instructional letter to Timothy, Paul's son in the faith. It also happens to be the last writing we have recorded that the apostle Paul wrote before his death. As it is considered Paul's last words and a teaching letter, it just makes sense that we should look into it for sound advice on how we operate our own little schools and households, learning how to teach our own children.

Chapter one beginning in verse 2 starts out right where we need to start out with, and go back to whenever we get off track, That is; Grace, mercy and peace.

Where can we find that? It tells us right after, From God the Father and our Lord Jesus Christ.

We can only be graceful with our children after we have received the grace of God ourselves. That is our starting point. After that comes mercy; He has been so merciful in our own lives, we need to remember that for our children and be that example. And peace? The whole world is looking for peace.  I can sometimes forget where true peace comes from. I can look for it in conversation with friends, I can look for it in blogs, homeschool conferences, family, maybe even hoping peace will come with the next paycheck. Those, all being good temporary sources, will not give my heart lasting peace. The lasting peace that cannot be explained when everything looks and feels as if its falling apart, and very well may be in chaos, but I am held together because it doesn't come from variable sources--He is the source; The Lord Jesus. And that cannot be taken away from us.

Verse 3&4 I thank God, whom I serve from my forefathers with a pure conscience, that without ceasing I have remembrance of thee in my prayers night and day. Greatly desiring to see thee, being mindful of thy tears, that I may be filled with joy.
I want to be more like Paul, even with my own kids, let's ask God to put someone on our hearts that we can pray for night and day. He was thanking God for and praying for Timothy night and day...I am so thankful that God puts people in our lives like Paul whom we can depend upon their faithfulness in prayer for us.
But more importantly; we have the promise that Jesus ever lives to make intercession for us, meaning he is constantly talking to God about us, praying for us. He is for us, we have an advocate and we are never alone!

Verse 5 When I call to remembrance the unfeigned faith that is in thee, which dwelt first in thy grandmother Lois and thy other Eunice; and I am persuaded is in thee also.
This is a special verse showing the lasting fruit of faithful lives lived  as an example in Timothy's life. A good promise and reminder in itself.

Verse 6 tells us: Wherefore I put thee in remembrance that thou stir up the gift of God which is in thee by the putting on of my hands.
Paul is reminding Timothy here to not forget. We as moms, can loose sight of our gifts as we wash dishes day in and day out, with never ending piles of laundry, we can get caught up in the everyday chaos and rituals. This verse tells us to remember something... We can forget the equipping and gifting God has put in us. We can also neglect spiritual gifts that have been given to us for our edification or the edification of others. No! The gifts and our calling have been given for a reason, we can not neglect that part of our lives ....even if the house is filled with laundry.

Verse 7 For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.
This is a huge verse for me because naturally I am a pretty fearful person. Fear of failing, fear of succeeding, fear of the unknown, fear of the future, fear of the present... Having the huge responsibility of raising four kids and educating them doesn't help..... But that fear, when it raises its ugly head, doesn't come from God. It is my own contriving mostly my putting unnecessary expectations on what I think I should be accomplishing. He, on the contrary, has given me power to face my fears, love like I ever knew possible and the sound mind to recognize those fears from reality. Living by faith instead of feelings.

Verse 8 Be not thou therefore ashamed of the testimony of our Lord, nor of me his prisoner: but be thou partaker of the afflictions of the gospel according to the power of God. Who hath saved us, and called us with an holy calling, not according to our works, but according to his own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began.
I put the second part of this verse in Italics because that is what I want to focus on here. I believe that the calling God has given me is in fact from God. He has loved me and saved me and had a plan for me my whole life, before the beginning, when Jamie and I and these kids were just a thought in his mind, He gave this duty of 'Wife and Mother' to me. Not because of anything I could do or be for them but because of his own faithfulness and purposes. I couldn't even guess to know or understand them all. Its mind blowing! I can feel so inadequate at times yet, again he is always faithful to help me forget what I feel and do what he has called me to do by his grace. Its such a wonderful privilege to do what we do as moms. We need that reminder sometimes so we can treat it as such. Let's not grow tired in doing well.

There's more to take from this great book but I will stop for now and save the rest for another day. God bless you fellow moms today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for coming and reading, I look forward to hearing from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...